Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Cafes Hop @ Rangoon Rd. Enchanted, Brunches and Non Entree Dessert.

Hello! Readers of Apple's Blog! This is Rayne.

You might find it strange why there is another writer here intruding Apple's blog. 
I am invited to take over some space here to share some of my reviews on the cafes that I've hopped. 
Hope you enjoy reading them as much as I am writing them :)
There are just too many cafes for Apple to finish covering alone. So I am here to ease some of her "burden". I am sure you will be seeing me here more often
(I hope, so show me some more support, okay? hehe)

-------------------
 

I am just wondering, have you been to Rangoon Rd?
Rangoon Road is located near Farrer Park MRT. Exit B. About a 3mins walk and you will reach this stretch of road that hold many interesting and some quite famous Cafes.


So, if you haven't already been there, you should probably go check it out.
In this entry, I will cover some of the more famous Cafes that I have researched about. 

--------------------------

First stop!

Enchanted Cafe!
88 Rangoon Road #01-04, 218374
Closed on Monday
(beside Old Hen Cafe)
https://www.facebook.com/EnchantedCafeSg

I chance upon this cafe one day when i was browsing Instagram and I was captivated by one of the drinks they have and so I decided to pay them a visit. Yes, I am easily mesmerized by pretty food. 



tah-dah~ This is the The Sorcerer's Elixir! So pretty isn't it!

It's a non-alcoholic drink served in a glass seated in a claypot log kind of bowl filled with water and dry ice.

When serve, the waiter will shine some kind of light from above before pouring in a "potion" and stir. I guess the light is for effect purposes, to allow us to be able to see those silver dust. Wait, or maybe they cannot see? LOL.

The drink will then changes from blue to light brown with loads of purple dust inside making the whole drink very glittery.
And along with those dry ice effect~ It's is all very magical!

My verdict?
Apart from the very instagrammable presentation, it just tasted like ........ tea! Mehhh~
Actually to be exact, it tasted like Lychee Earl Grey Tea with edible silver dust.

Honestly, I was a little disappointed because I was expecting more~ 
More flavors or maybe more "magical" ingredients? 
After all, a sorcerer's elixir is supposed to be a mixture of a lot of stuffs, no?

Well, anyhow, it was a quaint and quiet place. Though they have no GST and Service Charge but that does not affect their services! 
The waitress was very kind to introduce and explain their menu to us but I left shortly after because I was only there for the elixir and not the food. :)






Now, on to second hop~ Just a few doors down..


------------------------


Brunches Cafe
96 Rangoon Rd, Singapore 218381
Closed on Tuesday
https://www.facebook.com/BrunchesCafe/




This place is so cozy! They have this very 80s feel to the whole place. It was like entering to a different era. The services was good too, waitress was patient with us when I'm taking my own sweet time to choose and contemplating on where to seat. Haha.

If you were to spend a little time to visit their Facebook Page or Instagram, you would notice they converted a old car into a seats for dining. I wanted to sit there when I saw it on their social media but sadly the seats are already occupied when I was there.

I assumed it would be a great area for some pictures, no?





I had the Brunches Fiery Aglio Olio with Minute Steak ($16.90).
It is okay if you don't take beef, there are other meats such as Smoked Duck, Chicken Steak or Seafood to pair with your pasta.

I really like the pasta!
The fragrance of the garlic and olive oil was evidently present.. 
The minute steak doesn't looks minute at all and I was so full after.

IMO, it doesn't go well together. Maybe it's the beef itself or maybe it's the sauce that they used on the steak. 
It somehow overwhelms and cover the aroma of the garlic and olive oil in the pasta. I know the main lead is the steak but I feel they should be of a balance somehow. 

The Chicken Steak with Cranberry Sauce ($15.90) (black plate) was an interesting mix. Kinda feels like Ikea meatballs with lingonberry. Haha. The fresh greens, lightly roasted juicy tomato and golden fries makes the whole dish very colorful and appetizing!

They have a monthly special menu and there were a few "Galaxy" series drinks listed on it but there wasn't any pictures so we got the waitress to recommend and we ordered 
Galaxy” Lemon & Mint Refreshing Soda.




It is not too sweet. Even though there's a stalk of mint (not sure as garnish or taste), I didn't taste any mint. 

After adding lemon juice (metal jar), the soda will change from blue to light purple and you can see sparkling silver dust in the drink. Yes~ edible dust again! 
Phew~ Luckily I didn't experience any stomach upset from all that edible dust. HAHA!

To make the place more so interesting, everything in Brunches cafe are for sale, from tables and chairs to antique telephones to small nostalgic toys!

Do check them out if you are interested in getting some vintage pieces for your home.


--------------------------


So what's after dinner? Dessert of course!

There's durian stalls along the road, IceBox cafe that serves Halal Bingsu directly opposite of Enchanted Cafe but I went to Non-Entree Dessert cafe instead to get my sugar fix!

Non-Entree Dessert cafe 
204 Rangoon Rd, Hong Building, 218451
Closed on Mondays
https://www.facebook.com/nonentreedesserts/

I saw that they are pretty innovative with their desserts and they do cute retro dessert like 'Kueh Tutu' and  'Ang Ku Kueh' with a twist but it turns out that they were only seasonal!!

So if you're heading down, please remember to check out which special they are having!

The theme when I was there was Urban Garden but I didn't get that because I didn't like what i see. Instead, I went for their famous Chocolate Avalanche ($13.90) which is Chocolate lava cake seated on a thin crunchy nougatine...

It was made this way that when you slice open the lava cake, it will drip onto the ice cream at the bottom. After all the chocolate have dripped, you will break the nougatine and let it fall below. You then eat everything together to get the best of this dessert.  *see video!




It tasted good but for the price.... hmmmm.....would i order it again? Probably not.
I'm sure there are similar and affordable lava cakes out there.

---------------------

That was all I managed to cover. I will be back for more! There's so much more cafes along that stretch of road. WAIT FOR ME! For I will be back!

For you readers out there, if you visit any nice cafes that you would like me to go, please let me know! 


I hope you like what you are reading! 

signing off (for now) ~ Rayne







A little something about Rayne.


- have been with friend with Apple for 16years
- Godmother to our lovable Valerie!

- likes to DIY. 
- enjoy doing nail arts as a hobby
- enjoy playing online games and am pretty good at it






 

No comments:

The Bloom Outlet (How to Budget for your Wedding Flowers) [sp]

Are you busy planning your wedding now? Having so many items in your TO DO LIST? One of them is definitely your wedding flowers of course. ...